Sunday, June 29, 2008

where is God

I just spent 4 glorious days along the East Coast of Malaysia. It was work really; covering 20stores and driving a total of 1000km.

Just before this trip, I read that a father told his son - 'son, you must go to church every Sunday inorder to be connected with God'.

It has bothered me! It bothered me, because I love controversy! It has bothered me, because I believe the statement is not true! In fact, I once said in one of the classes I attended ' we don't need to go to church to know God'. I was told that pastors would hate me for making that statement; just as quickly, I was told the statement is true.

I must acknowledge though, that the statement may just be a form of good upbring of one god-fearing father to his son.

I had brought along my Bible and notes to read. Of course there was no time, to read either. I guess, subconsciously, I was trying to prove that statement wrong! God's presence is everywhere. It is just a case of do we keep HIM constantly in our mind. Do we consciously look at things around us, knowing that it is His creation.

All the way up to Kota Baru, except for Kuantan, I spotted only one official church , and for the life of me, I can't even remember the name. It does not mean that there is no (Christian) God there. His presence is very much present. The sea was just as blue and the sandy beaches just as white; as it would be in any church-filled hinterland.

I must admit, end of the day, where we perceive God to be, depends very much on one's maturity.

Then the other question which comes to mind is - why did the main institutional churches left this part of the world relatively untouched? Afterall when an institutional church was formed through the Constituion more than 100 years ago, there was no Islamic renewal. There must be 'lost souls' to be saved here! I acknowledge that I am ignorant on this subject. It would be interesting to read up on this - one day!