Saturday, February 20, 2010

CNY 2010 ... gimmel, resh and yod...

Oh! talking about surfing facebook and virtual farming! Not all is bad or a total waste of time you know. Though I have not been spending any time 'studying', I did have had some 'lessons'.

I actually found Greek and Hebrew 'neighbours'. So I tried to 'read'.

As far as Greek is concerned, I am totally lost and Greek is still totally Greek to me! For one, we learnt and use small alphabets mostly in elementary Biblical Greek. So sight-reading or recognization of the Greek alphabets takes time. Saving grace is I could recognise a greek word, without knowing it. However, curiosity is enough for me to find out why modern Greek, at least the computerised Greek are all in Capitals.

On the other hand, though it is very early days in our Hebrew lectures, I could recognise the Hebrew alphabets almost immediately. I mean, lo and behold, I could read the alphabets of a lady's first name - gimmel, resh, yod, transliterated as gry. But my delight is short lived. I have to confess that it is as far as I could go. We have just about learnt the vowels. Hence, I did enlarge the font size to ensure that I have not missed any dots and/or dashes ie the vowels. Yes, vowels are represented by dots and dashes. But there aren't any! Oh well, I would just have to be patient and persist.

See! virtual farms and computer games are educational! Don't pooh pooh things away, too easily.
________________________________________