Tuesday, February 2, 2010

hanoi trip 12.... motorbike taxi

I don't have photographs! But I could never forget the motorbike-taxi ride I have had.

Imagine this.
The terrain:- Road looks more like a dried out river bed full of rocks and pebbles.

Gradient of roads:- Mostly 45% gradient; up and or down.

The load or passengers:- other than the driver and I, there is our overnight backpack for three and two bags of provision.

The set-up:- our backpack was placed in front of and on top of the handlebars, between the drivers hand! Provisions was neatly packed in a box and securely tied to the back of the motorbike. I am wedged between the box and the driver!

My Ride:- As we traversed up and down the hill, I had my eye closed, praying for travel mercy. Talking to the villagers as we passed them, the driver was going slowly. He did the latter probably because I was pulling down on to his jacket for dear life. In retrospect, I could have strangled him and have transferred my fear.

Anyway the second part was most hilarous, now that I could talk about it! After we dropped off the first bag of provision, the driver threw away the box. Then he put the provision on top of the backpack. Only problem with this is - it was not secured. So after the first bend, I saw him, took his left hand off the handle-bars as the provision started to slide off. So for the rest of the journey, I transferred my hands from hanging on to the driver's jacket to holding on to the provision.

Through the rest of bends and winds of the mountainous 'streets of La Ca, Sapa' I was hanging on to a pear on my right hand, and a cabbage (not Savoy cabbage, mind you) on my left hand, with the drivers body wedged tightly between my arms.

Yes, it was a memorable journey, my motorbike-taxi ride! Heroic even, especially when I found out that it was our lunch that I have safe-guarded!

Would I do the whole Hanoi trip all over again? No question about it - a hearty Yes!

Why?

We need to get out of our boundaries of comfort and be reminded we are alive!

Foolhardy? No!

We are being tested every day. Though it may not be a physical danger in our comfort zone, we sometimes die upon our spiritual life, going through the motion of worship, without really seeking HIM!

Deep?

Yes - very deep!

To what depth do we know HIM?

I am far from knowing HIM, and still with great shallowness!
______________________________________________