Friday, March 13, 2009

Aunt Grace

This week we see the passing of a Grand Old Lady, Mrs Grace Lee, at age 92. If there are a number of persons who has left a great impression in my life, one outstanding person is Aunt Grace.

Aunt Grace is truly a lady of substance and has lived as depicted by her name - gracefully! So in honour of her, here are some of the incidences and legacy she has forever imprinted on me!

Aunt Grace lead me gently to Christ. I remember when I first went with her to Church, she asked me - are you changed and ready for church yet? Why, I asked. I am dressed in my best working suit. Alas it was not a skirt. But Aunt Grace did not say I can't wear pants. Instead the now familiar statement came - "In those days" when we go to church we have to wear long skirts; we must not show our knees!

Is tradition too old fashion? We see young people in sphagetti straps and bare-back t-shirts and hip-hanging pants, exposing most of the mid-rift and more. Am I now too old fashion or old enough to adopt Aunt Grace's opinion:
"in those days" we are taught that when we enter the Sanctuary, it is the house of the Lord. We are in the presence of the Lord, we should have decorum even in our dressing.

I remember too, one of my arguments with Aunt Grace. If the Sanctuary is holy, why do we see pastors praying for the Lord's protection and to banish the devil, whilst we are worshipping in the Sanctuary. Well, I never got any reply. Aunt Grace believed that all pastors, as servants of God is above reproof. This is representative of the generation before.

It was in one of my evening walks round the neighbourhood that I decided I would accept Christ and be baptised. My tears started streaming out non-stop; though I was not crying, sobbing or wailing!

Aunt Grace took out a glass and filled it with water. She said a short prayer and gave me the glass of water to drink. After which my tears stopped. It wasn't a big theatrical prayer or an exorcism scene. Just a a short, convicted prayer of an 84 year old lady who has been praying daily, for most of her life.

So now, despite all the theological arguments, I believe in the Holy communion! I believe that we do not need fancy ordained personnel to conduct and give out Sacraments. I believe that females are just as capable to hold the position of priests or pastors! I believe that we - males, females or otherwise - only need to believe and have inner conviction and live gracefully in His Glory. Our Lord will perform miracles through us and our life. Anything else is peripheral and man-made!

May the Lord bless Aunt Grace!
____________________________________________________________