Monday, September 7, 2009

Bettas..

Okay got my first batch of betta babies after a long while....

No, this is not the alpha and beta of Greek, but our Malaysian fighting fish.

Yes, I need to stock fish to avoid mosquito larvaes developing in my water-lilly pots! Though one could actually buy the excess baby carps, rather cheaply like RM1.00 for 10, they have had been disappearing, literally! Why? Simply because there is a 'resident kingfisher' and a pair of Magpie Robins, who have had been feeding off my supply.

So in one of my trips to the fish shop, I saw an 'uncle' who was sitting there admiring his purchase. They were totally red female bettas. To meander, I decided to pick up some. Of course, Uncle and I got chatting. He was so surprised that I would know or even remotely be interested. Well, like I told him, my Granddad sparkled our interest. Many years ago, after breeding three generations, I went as far as trying to find out how to market them...

To cut the story short, not sure how the babies will turn out... cause I don't know the lineage... but extremely happy over my babies bettas.. be they red, blue, black or white!

This is almost like the male 'daddy' betta. (Image from bulletbetta.com)


This is the almost like the 'mummy' betta. (Image from oneworldinternetcafe.com)


_________________________________________________________