Monday, September 14, 2009

sweet reminder..

We are brought up in an environment, where we are expected to be always achieving, moving up the ladder, as high as we can, in our career. We get caught up with learning new things, keeping up with developments, trying to be one step ahead of competition. After years of wheeling and dealing, I honestly forgot the simple pleasures of what I used to enjoy when we were young; junior staff.

As if I needed to be reminded, two things happened this weekend to remind me of the simple pleasures we have long forgotten.

So I have had volunteered to help put on make-up for members of a Choir. As it is a fund raising do, I have to do it myself, instead of paying some make-up artistes. Initially, I admit I was nervous that I would have lost my touch, after years of absence! Guess, like riding a bicycle, once we get back on one, we find we have not forgotten. Okay, so I have not forgotten the skill. But I have definitely forgotten how enjoyable and satisfying it has been. I should volunteer for more!

Then, in the short period, rushing between duty in church in the morning, and picking up what's needed for the second make-up session of the day, I noticed something red among the pots. This water lily of mine bloomed. It has been dormant for years! I have not ignored it, nor given up. It became a habit - the repotting, fertilizing and even talking to! I had a distinct thought that I have truly forgotten how beautiful and red it is.



Today's sermon was on the 'Blessed one'! Yes, I have been been blessed. But I need to be reminded. Most of all, I must not forget what I 'used to' enjoy.

______________________________________________________________