Friday, November 20, 2009

mild concussion..

Right I am playing catch up!

I just found out that we will be having a public holiday on and each Friday from next week to the 1st of January 2010 (except for the 4th of December). The last time it happened in my working life, is because I need to clear my Annual Leave.

Imagine that - a long weekend for the rest of the year! I really need that. Though there is a lot of work like the budget to be done! Yes, I am just starting. Then again, I could take a rather flippant attitude of 'Hallo it is just figures'! Like the Chinese man said 'better for the sky to count than man'.

But I really do need the long weekends! I fainted or should I say I lost consciousness in the toilet of the plane on the way to Hong Kong. Yes, I agree it could well be because I was really trying to do a lot, as I will be away for more than a week. I flew on a Saturday. In the five days before, I was trying to do two weeks work in one!!

Then the fainting could be a fault of a turbulence. I definitely hit against the door and lost consciousness! In fact there was a distinct mark of a door knob on my cheek and the pattern of the carpet on my forehead. Apparently some one heard the fall. I woke up to some one knocking on the door. When I answered, I was left alone. Imagine being wedged between the door and the toilet seat. Must have fallen like a bag of potatoes. Anyway I did managed to extradite myself; walked to my seat.

The fuss and real consequence came about when I woke up from a nap and threw up. Despite the number of miles I have flown, I have never needed to use the 'bag'. Take my advise, learn how to open it before you need to use it. It was a miracle that I managed to throw most of the breakfast into the bag. For that matter, I seriously think that all passengers should actually check or actually use it and not assume that there is a life-jacket under the seat, until an emergency!

Now the real story begins! I had a lot of attention - including three doctors who were on board. Apparently I could be having a mild concussion! Incidentally, I now know that the worst and most silly thing to do was to ask a 'patient' how and whether they are alright. It so happened that there was a flight operations executive on board. Yes he was concerned, asking loads of question. Got me a bit irritated. I turn around and told him that he should know better what to do as he would have had more experiences with cases like mine and would like to know my rights as a passenger ie to sue MAS or what. Yes, I had the presence of mind to ask if I could sue - always the rebel!

Well, I was given a ride on the wheelchair to the airport doctor. It was rather embarassing as the lady who pushed me was much smaller in size! Glad I did take the ride cause my head was spinning looking at the carousel for my luggage. Oh, though one may not be too conscious, but there I was wheeled through a special immigration check.

So the airport doctor thinks I should have Xrays done at the local hospital.

Oh! I have to record this. Not sure whether it is my concussion; but I thought the doctor's name was Greek; Cause his name was very wriggly! Apparently Doc said he is from Adelaide and not Australian! Suppose it is true that Adelaide-ians are more refined with all those vineyards around??? See the irony?

The next big excitement is - I was taken to the Princess Margaret Hospital in an ambulance. Oh I did have the presence of mind to ask the ambulence personnel to take a picture of me in the ambulance, because I need to blog it.

After four Xrays and a ecg, I was declared fit. I refused a blood test as it is already 4pm. That would mean my dear friend Daisy Wong would have to wait for another four hours. Daisy was already with me from 2pm. Also I was worried I would be left without a hotel room. Hotel room would be difficult to find during a Convention.

Cost of hospital bill was HK$570. This was as compared to the Airport Doctors bill of HK$400.00. Was told by the rest of the Honkees that I should have taken the blood test for two reasons. One is that the bill is so cheap; apparently the ecg itself would have cost HK$1000.00. The other is that they have had paid so much through various taxes; at least a friend benefited!

Well the rest of the story is - I slept through the weekend literally. Just before the I fell asleep, I messaged my siblings. I slept through the phone calls and that caused a worried furore back in Malaysia.

But the Lord was with me! Managed to get through the rest of the week! Went to work and picked up some necessities!

Moral of the story? That's it! Will take things easy! Whatever is in store, my priority is to learn more of my God. I will be doing Theology!
____________________________________________________________________