Sunday, November 29, 2009

Mulan

The first big screen, traditionally costumed movie 花木蘭 (Hua Mu Lan) have had left a life-long impression on me.

She was the heroine that I would like to grow up to be. I have had always tried to emulate her. Consciously or unconsciously, it provided the 'spiritual strength'. At my lowest ebb, I remember how she rose above great difficulty, in the battle field. At my high, I am 'Hua Mu Lan', taking on my male colleagues, on equal grounds, in their domain. At a cross road, it is to choose 'family' verses personal glory!

My grandmother, or is it my parents, took me to watch the movie at least three decades ago. Since then Disney has produced two carton version. It was great. But it did not provide the 'human' face or connection, hence reality. I am so glad it is now re-made again. I hope it will provide the same inspiration to many more generations of females!

History: The time setting of the story is uncertain. The earliest accounts of the legend state that she lived during the Northern Wei Dynasty (386-534). Apparently the story was expanded into a novel during the late Ming Dynasty (1386-1644). Over time, the story of Hua Mulan rose in popularity as a folk tale among the Chinese people on the same level as the 'Butterfly Lovers'.

Go bring your daughters and even wives to see it!
___________________________________________________________