Monday, December 15, 2008

bringing up parents......

I love the cartoon strip - 'bringing up Father' by George McMamus. I think it's the time of our lifes where and when, we or I could relate to the stories told.

What I am trying to say is - my parents, really sprung a surprise on us at yesterday's dinner table. The two old folks have decided to take a train down to Seremban; by themselves; A cousin will pick them up, with whom they will stay for four days, at Port Dickson!

Why? Why do you need to do that?

"Oh, school holidays are going to be over soon. We wont have time; what with having to pick up the kids after school, for tuition, piano classes etc..."

Oh Dear, here we thought we are doing them a favour by keeping them and their faculties active! They need their space, too? Guess it also shows that they feel closetted with us harping and watching their every move. Strange how the roles seems to be reversed nowadays!

I also know that away from us, people will acclaim loudly - 'wah, uncle and aunty, you sure don't look in your 80's'. Bad choice of compliment! As one would be innudated with a whole life story of how and what one needs to do to keep healthy ...... then it is a case of how well, their children are doing, and how many grand children they have and how many A's they did for SPM, PMR

Moral of the story:

  • what ever time spent, that is considered enough, as apportioned by us, is never enough, for those who spend a whole life 'bringing' us up. Are they feeling 'less' appreciated?
  • I remember my grandfather very well. He takes milk and bread with kaya and butter, to my school for my recess break.
  • But I don't seem to recall much of my Dad when he was young. As teachers and eventually retiring as Head Master, they had two jobs in order to keep food on the table. Their whole life savings has been spent on our education.
  • Are we repeating the same mistake - going through this same cycle of life.