Friday, August 14, 2009

Greeking it.... pt 2

Okay next week will be our last class. I admit that I am glad that it will be over soon! Guess I should thank the Lord for surviving!

Due to the course set-up, there is no 'fun' learning the language. I was told we should enjoy studying a language. Believe me, it was not enjoyable. We studied and memorized and studied! Doesn't help that the reputation of both the lecturer and students were at stake.

Why students reputation at stake? We heard that we are 'the stars'; hence we can be 'pushed'! I want to protest! We are not 'stars'. We are definitely ambitious. We are very good at multi-tasking - handling both a full-time job and still making respectable GPA's! But that doesn't make us 'stars'! We have incurred loads of opportunity cost too, you know!

Then the lecturer got really annoyed and threw a tantrum. Why? cause we are still not able to tell what is the subject of a relative pronoun! Hallo, we were only told to memorize by hard, paradigms and vocabularies! Not the lecturer's fault either! There is not enough exercises available and the course set up is really intensive - two chapters a week!

So what have we learnt? Well, I think we could now read 'about every other word' in the Greek NT. We could do some basic translations. Is this good enough for a basic course? I think it is! I now understand what and why it is a nominative predicate and recognize a future-middle-passive indicative! And then, do you know that a depondent verb is both passive and middle in form but active in meaning! It was as much a English grammar class in addition to Greek! Oh well, at least my investment in Bibleworks is now paying off, a bit more.

Really am glad that Greek 1 will be over. Not sure about pursuing Greek 2. First because I really do not relate to NT. Would have preferred Hebrew and OT. Yah, yah, yah, how could one say that one cannot relate to NT when it is of our Christ? But OT is of our Almighty God, who is merciful enough not to give up on us humanity. HE came down as Christ to ensure our salvation. Unless, of course, we don't believe in Trinity!

Last but not least - should Hebrew be next, I guess, learning an ancient language would not be any 'easier'! But let me reiterate, at least I relate to OT better!
_______________________________________________________________________